21 years of priesthood

At the very heart of priesthood

March 27, 2014


In my 21 years as a priest, experiencing both lights and shadows surely gives my priestly life that 3D image which I find very alive, colorful, and meaningful.

Each year, I've been asked to share on what it means to be a priest.  My answer would probably be the same, "I haven't started yet and I'm not done yet!"

There are 2 guideposts that mark my priesthood and until now, I am in the that constant process of trying to attain them.  The first mark is being configured according to Christ as head and shepherd of his flock.  Pastores Dabo Vobis is just that - "shepherds after my own heart." (Jer. 3, 15)

A bishop remarks, "A priest is like a walking billboard. He never fails to advertise Christ."  At this point in time, I might not yet  be configured 'in persona Christi'; yet this image aptly describes me; the billboard big enough to remind me and others that Jesus is alive and wants us to be in communion with him.

The second mark is in relation with God's people.  As the Lord unraveled who I am, my task is to unravel the vocation of all whom He loves.  In Pastores Dabo Vobis, the priest's task is explicit, "to call forth gifts and charisms; to gather together gifts and charisms; and to coordinate charisms and ministries", the image being a conductor of a great orchestra.  I am called to take part in an orchestra where my priesthood has its proper place in the great scheme of things, side by side with your gifts.

We have to use all charisms and gifts to build the body of Christ. We cannot just work on our own volition.  Each of us has to work with Christ, the great Conductor.

I may have failed in some things; I may be moving very slowly.  But I'm glad despite all shortcomings, the Lord allows me to travel along the right path, correcting every wrong and healing every wound.  This is the secret of my priesthood.  At the very heart is Love guiding me.  I'm glad to pass this on to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ngayon isasama kita sa paraiso

Nag-uumapaw na pag-ibig ng Diyos

3 best ways to love God